yoga at your desk
- Always breathe in through the nose and out through the nose (unless the nose is blocked. Have a look at Mindfulness and the Breath for more information)
- Aim for a 5 second inbreath and a 5 second outbreath, but don’t ever struggle with the breath – always breathe comfortably. A 4 second in and out breath is likely to be most comfortable to begin with.
- Always ensure that the in and out breathes are the same length
- Always keep breathing
- Don’t do anything that hurts – the aim of yoga is balance, comfort (in your state of being) and ease (rather than dis-ease). Discomfort and pain are not “Yogic” – they cause tension (creating physical and psychological inbalance) and they’re a sign that
- the ego has taken control (that feeling of competition). When the ego has taken control, you’ve lost rational thinking; or
- you’re not in the present – you’re comparing your “performance” against last time you did this; or